You won’t need all day to make this hearty beef stew
1 1/2 pounds
chuck or stew meat, cut into 1 inch chunks*
frozen pearl onions
carrots, peeled and chopped into one inch chunks
large russet potato, peeled and cut into one inch chunks
sliced button mushrooms
1 1/2 cups
beef stock or broth
red wine of choice
salt and pepper to taste
Mrs. Dash original seasoning mix*
1/4 to 1/2 cup
instant potato flakes*
Set instant pot to saute function. Add oil when beep indicates pot is hot
Dump beef chunks into instant pot and saute until slightly browned.
Add stock and wine, and stir to deglaze the instant pot.
Add potato and vegetables and seasonings on top of beef.
Turn off instant pot. Close and lock lid, then set stew function to 35 minutes.
When time is up, carefully release steam. Carefully open the lid of the instant pot.
Use instant potato flakes to thicken stew to desired thickness.
* do not flour beef before adding to instant pot as this may cause scorching.
* use any seasoning you like
* use instant potatoes to thicken the stew instead of flour
Save the tortilla chips and try this riff on nachos!
Cheesy tater tot Mexican casserole
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 pound
ground 80% lean ground beef
- 1 small
- 1 small
red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 packet
- 4 cups
for taco mix*
- 1/4 cup
dairy free milk of choice
- 2 cups
dairy free mexican blend shredded cheese*
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef in oil until starting to brown. Add onion and pepper. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and onion and pepper start to soften. Drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning mix and amount of water called for on the package. The amount may vary depending on the mix you use. Follow package directions for cooking the meat and taco mix together. Cool for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg and milk; add cheese and stir until combined. Add in beef mixture and mix until combined. Turn into greased pie plate.
- Top with tater tots and bake for 37 to 39 minutes, or until filling is set and tots are golden brown.Let cool 10 minutes.
- Serve with toppings such as sour cream and salsa.
*use amount of water called for on package
Be sure to read labels when choosing taco seasoning mix. They are not all gluten free
Brown your beef by flattening it out in the pan, and browning one side. Turn over and brown on the other side. Then break up beef to complete browning.
You can omit the red pepper if you like, but it gives a nice sweet taste.
Check your tater tots label to make sure they are gluten free. Some companies add wheat
I did not measure the tots-I just used enough to cover the top of the pie plate.
I used Go Veggie Monterey Jack blend. You could use a Daiya cheddar block and shred it yourself.