Save the tortilla chips and try this riff on nachos!
Cheesy tater tot Mexican casserole
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 pound
ground 80% lean ground beef
- 1 small
- 1 small
red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 packet
- 4 cups
for taco mix*
- 1/4 cup
dairy free milk of choice
- 2 cups
dairy free mexican blend shredded cheese*
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef in oil until starting to brown. Add onion and pepper. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and onion and pepper start to soften. Drain fat.
- Add taco seasoning mix and amount of water called for on the package. The amount may vary depending on the mix you use. Follow package directions for cooking the meat and taco mix together. Cool for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg and milk; add cheese and stir until combined. Add in beef mixture and mix until combined. Turn into greased pie plate.
- Top with tater tots and bake for 37 to 39 minutes, or until filling is set and tots are golden brown.Let cool 10 minutes.
- Serve with toppings such as sour cream and salsa.
*use amount of water called for on package
Be sure to read labels when choosing taco seasoning mix. They are not all gluten free
Brown your beef by flattening it out in the pan, and browning one side. Turn over and brown on the other side. Then break up beef to complete browning.
You can omit the red pepper if you like, but it gives a nice sweet taste.
Check your tater tots label to make sure they are gluten free. Some companies add wheat
I did not measure the tots-I just used enough to cover the top of the pie plate.
I used Go Veggie Monterey Jack blend. You could use a Daiya cheddar block and shred it yourself.