Summer Pasta with Basil, Tomatoes and Cheese
The effort to make this cake is well worth it
- 2/3 + 1/3 cup
- 3/4 cup + 1 1/2 cup
gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons
ground cinnamon, divided
- 4 tablespoons
dairy free spread, melted
- 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup
- 1 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8″ square pan or 9″ round pan.
- To make the topping: Whisk together the 2/3 cup brown sugar, salt, 3/4 cup flour and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Add the melted spread, stirring just until well combined. Set the topping aside.
- To make the filling: Mix together 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Set it aside.
- To make the cake: Beat together the oil, eggs, granulated sugar, pumpkin, remaining spices, salt, and baking powder until smooth.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups flour, stirring just until smooth.
- Pour/spread half the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it all the way to the edges. If you have a scale, half the batter is about 13 1/2 ounces.
- Sprinkle the filling evenly atop the batter.
- Spread the remaining batter atop the filling. Use a table knife to gently swirl the filling into the batter, as though you were making a marble cake. Don’t combine filling and batter thoroughly; just swirl the filling through the batter.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the cake until it’s light brown on top, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving. Serve the cake right from the pan.