Creamy risotto style potatoes
These potatoes are made using the same basic technique for making risotto, but they are really easy to make.
* I recommend using Go Veggie dairy-free parmesan
- 2 pounds
russet potatoes, diced into half inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 small
- 3 cups
stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 4 oz
- 1/2 cup
dairy free parmesan cheese*
- 2-4 tablespoons
dairy free spread
- 2 tablespoons
olive oil, divided
- Wash and cut the potatoes into small cubes. You can peel potatoes if you like. Put potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, turn heat down and simmer about 5 min until al dente. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced onion, drained potatoes, with the other 1/2 teaspoon salt, and one ladleful of stock. Cook, stirring continuously, until the stock is almost fully absorbed.
- In a separate pan, saute the mushrooms in a tablespoon of olive oil and toss gently until they begin to brown.
- Continue to add the stock to the potato mixture, one ladleful at a time, while stirring continuously, until the potatoes are tender and creamy on the outside, about 5 to 10 minutes. Begin to ‘press down’ into the risotto with your spoon so that some of the potatoes get mushed which will help to build that ‘creamy’ texture. Taste the potatoes. If they’re soft, you won’t need to add any more liquid. If they still have a bite in the middle, you can add a bit more stock.
- Add the mushrooms, and cheese, and stir. Add the spread, and continue stirring, adding a bit more stock if needed.